Sunday, December 23, 2007

A chicken in every pot, and $1.5099 oil for every SUV in the garage.

When the race first started, I heard from a lot of people that this woman was going to win. I couldn't see it then, and I don't see it now.

This news byte is hilarious to me either way. Oil prices flit around in the short term, but longer term they are ultimately determined by supply and demand, not by speculators or pandering politicians.

If they really wanted to cut oil use they would put a straight tax on it, a significant one, as they do in Europe. But because they don't like to take tough measures (as we don't - they are elected by us), our politicians do quarter measures like raising the MPG requirements.

Daily news: Elect me and oil prices instantly drop, says Hillary Clinton in Iowa.